Sunday, May 19, 2013

Illuminati

(A series of posts leading up to/including The Nocturnes Photo Tour in the West of Ireland, July 15-25, 2013; with a personal Genealogical Research Extension, in and around Ballina, up in County Mayo, July 25-29)


In preparing for another Full Moon NPy Workshop in San Francisco, I was working on a "Flashlights for Light-Painting' handout, and thought I might do the same for our Ireland travellers. Over time, I have changed my view re: the tools I use, their size, and output, for this important aspect of NPy. This is due, in part to the new LED technology - now almost omnipresent - in the marketplace (even our revered MagLite now offers Focusing LED, 2-3-4 'D' Cell models!).

As you are probably planning to 'pack light' for the trip, consider this size comparison which might help you make your decision on what flashllight to bring along on the trip. Brands to look for include Surefire, Coast, And Streamlight. I am looking at a 500 Lumens Fury Flashlght by Surefire! It's about the same size as the Surefire in the picture above - will let you know how that works out!

From The [not so] Daily Nocturne

2 comments:

C.S.Lee said...

hi Tim, have you heard about Fenix brand, personally I like their flashlight over Surefire though.

Daniel said...

The Fenix LED flashlights are what I have moved to from my MagLights. Much nicer in use and brightness choices that are worth it. Add in the strobing settings and you have a tool worth owning.