Friday, June 28, 2013

More Travel Tips

(A series of posts leading up to/including The Nocturnes Photo Tour in the West of Ireland, July 15-25, 2013; with a personal Genealogical Research Extension, in and around Ballina, July 25-29)


Caution:
I thought I had figured out a clever way to deal with the charging of multiple electronic devices while in Ireland, using your basic power strip (with or without surge protector) and an Adaptor Plug for Ireland. Well, it seems, not so fast . . . the general wisdom on the internets leans toward NOT using  power strips that have surge protection, on/off LEDs, etc. - with a number of respondents recommending not using any kind of power strip, unless they are visibly rated as Dual Voltage - "120/240v, 50/60Hz" - don't even know where you'd find such things!


An aside here:
I swear that I used basic U.S. power strips plugged into an Irish Adaptor back in the mid 1980s, for lighting (1000w Lowels!) on a video shoot, without any problems. Still, I don't want to chance it this time.

Also, I thought about bringing a rechargeable Ryobi flashlight - turns out the AP8400 charge is listed as 120V/60Hz - so I guess that is out, too! No problem - I've got Surefires, with plenty of 123A 3-volt batteries in tow!


Lesson: check the dual voltage status on all items you are plugging into the three pronged Irish electrical Adaptor (See earlier post) and forget about the power strip - devote ONE Adaptor per device, if planning to charge simultaneously.


From The [not so] Daily Nocturne

No comments: